Mouthguards are essential pieces of equipment for MMA fighters. They protect the fighter’s teeth, jaw, and lips from injury, which can occur during a fight due to punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. Mouthguards can also help to prevent concussions by absorbing the force of impact.
There are two main types of mouthguards used by MMA fighters: boil-and-bite and custom-fit. Boil-and-bite mouthguards are made of a soft, pliable material that can be heated and molded to fit the fighter’s teeth. Custom-fit mouthguards are made by a dentist or oral appliance laboratory using a mold of the fighter’s teeth. Custom-fit mouthguards are more expensive than boil-and-bite mouthguards, but they provide a better fit and more protection.
MMA fighters should wear a mouthguard at all times during training and competition. They should also replace their mouthguards every six months to ensure that they are still providing adequate protection.
Here are some of the benefits of wearing a mouthguard for MMA fighters:
- Protects teeth from being knocked out, chipped, or broken.
- Protects the jaw from being fractured.
- Protects the lips from being cut or bruised.
- Can help to prevent concussions.
- Improves breathing and speech.
- Provides a more comfortable and secure fit than a gumshield.
Here are some of the factors to consider when choosing a mouthguard for MMA:
- Fit: The mouthguard should fit snugly but not too tightly. It should not move around when the fighter talks or breathes.
- Comfort: The mouthguard should be comfortable to wear, even during intense training or competition.
- Protection: The mouthguard should provide adequate protection for the teeth, jaw, and lips.
- Durability: The mouthguard should be durable and able to withstand the rigors of training and competition.
Here are some tips for caring for an MMA mouthguard:
- Clean the mouthguard after each use with soap and water.
- Soak the mouthguard in a mouthguard retainer case with water and a mild mouthwash solution overnight.
- Replace the mouthguard every six months or sooner if it becomes damaged.
Wearing a mouthguard is an important safety precaution for MMA fighters. By choosing the right mouthguard and taking care of it properly, fighters can help to protect their teeth, jaw, and lips from injury.