The Best Strikers in Combat Sports
Disclaimer: These are not in any particular order, but if you’re a fan of MMA and strikers, and don’t know all of the people on this list….you certainly should. I only picked one MMA striker, although he’s most certainly deserving nd I tried to pluck from a variety of striking arts; Muay Thai, Boxing, “Dutch Style” Kickboxing etc. Also noteworthy; I didn’t use anyone who is not competitive/active today, SO…..without further ado.
Mixed Martial Arts…
5. MMA – Michael ‘Venom’ Page (MVP) is an English kickboxer and WW (170 lb) mixed martial artist of Trinidadian and Jamaican descent. He is recognised throughout MMA for his unorthodox fighting style which originated from point fighting and sports karate. He currently is 10-0 with 9 finishes, and at 6’3″ and 170 lbs he is long, fast, creative, and an absolute athletic specimen.
4. Boxing – Román ‘El Chocolatito’ González is a Nicaraguan boxer. He is the current WBC, The Ring magazine flyweight champion, and former WBA light flyweight and WBA minimumweight champion. Much like his idol and former mentor, legend Alexis Arguello, González is a three-weight world champion, with both being the only two in Nicaragua’s history. He is currently considered by most boxing analysts and publications the best pound-for-pound boxer in the sport.
At 5’3″ and 112 lbs. with a record of 45-0 with 38 Knockouts he is very similar to Mighty Mouse, as I’ll explain.
3. Muay Thai Saenchai (formerly known as) Sor. Kingstar has won the Lumpinee Championship title in four different weight classes, mostly above his weight. He is considered by many to be the best pound for pound Muay Thai fighters in the world, now and /or ever. Against non-Thai’s the gap in skill is so great he will go up as high as 147 pounds, which is about 15 lbs above his weight class. He is known for having off the chart fight IQ, reflexes, evasion and varietal attacks.
2. Boxing – ‘Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin or GGG is a Kazakhstani boxer who currently holds the unified WBA (Super), WBC, IBF and IBO middleweight titles. Like a middleweight (prime) Mike Tyson, he is extremely aggressive, counter punching pressure fighter with one of the best jabs AND jab defence (s) in boxing. Brilliant at cutting off the ring. Holds the highest KO percentage (35-0 with 32 Knockouts = 91.4%) in MW history and has one of the hardest chins in boxing, having never been knocked down or knocked out in over 375 fights, neither as a professional nor amateur. Most sparring partners (like Saenchai) are much larger due to his uncanny power.
1. Kickboxing – Nieky ‘The Natural’ Holzken is a former K1 fighter and current welterweight champion (and p4p King) of Glory Kickboxing. His versatility of attack, Ramon Dekkers lineage and stylings, and forever improving technique make him, in my opinion, the most complete striker on the planet right now. Last loss by decision was 4 years ago, and last time he was finished was 6.
The combination of Muay Thai-friendly knees, leg kicks, and clinch domination along with his exponentially increasing boxing IQ and abilities (footwork/defence/punching ability/head movement) make him the most versatile striker on the list as he has competed professionally in Muay Thai, Glory/K1 Kickboxing, and Boxing.
Music: Perséphone – Retro Funky (SUNDANCE Remix) [Bass Boosted] (HD) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEWNidul6A
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favour of fair use.