Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson Film Study
Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is my number one request right now, I’ve done a breakdown on him in the past, but he’s forever improving and you have to imagine his fight with Rory MacDonald is essentially the number one contender fight at 170 lbs.
Stephen Thompson UFC Fighter Info
Stephen Thompson was born 11/02/83 is a former professional karate competitor and currently fights under the banner of the Ultimate Fighting Championships as a professional mixed martial artist in their welterweight division. Undefeated in both his amateur and professional careers as a full-contact karate fighter. With a total of 28 of those victories by way of knockout. As we speak he is the number two ranked fighter in the UFC welterweight division.
He started training in Karate when he was three years of age. Thompson’s dad was also a professional fighter and was his inspiration to get into the sport at an early age. Prior to him joining the ranks of the MMA world, Thompson only began to train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 20 years old. The in MMA when he turned 26.
Wonderboy’s UFC Career to Date
- Thompson won his first fight in the UFC against Dan Stittgen via head kick. His first performance inside the octagon got him knockout of the night and a bonus for his troubles.
- He then faced Matt Brown 21/04/12 losing by unanimous decision.
- Scheduled to take on Besam Yousef 17/11/12 at UFC 154. He was forced off the card due to an injury.
- Wonderboy was first scheduled to fight Amir Sadollah 25/05/13, but Sadollah pulled out due to injury. He won a unanimous decision victory over Nah-Shon Burrell who was brought in as a replacement.
- At UFC 165 Thompson knocked out Chris Clements in their bout in the second round.
- On 22/02/14 Thompson faced Robert Whittaker at UFC 170. he defeated the Australian via knockout in the first round of their fight. Again being awarded Performance of the Night bonus.
- Thompson defeated Patrick Cote at UFC 178, winning by unanimous decision.
- Scheduled to face Brandon Thatch at UFC Fight Night 60. He pulled out of the card due to a rib injury.
- He defeated Jake Ellenberger at The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale on 12/07/15 via first-round KO. Earning himself another performance of the night bonus.
- Contracted to fight Neil Magny at UFC 195. Magny was used as a replacement for an injured Matt Brown at the Ultimate Fighter Latin America 2 Finale facing Kelvin Gastelum. Thompson never fought on the UFC 195 card. Instead of facing Johny Hendricks 06/02/16. Defeating the former champion in the first via TKO. Again earning Thompson a Performance of the Night bonus.