Mike Tyson vs Frank Bruno 1989
Undisputed heavyweight champion of the world Iron Mike Tyson. Stops his opponent Frank Bruno and Retains Crown This Day February 25, 1989. This was the pre-Robin Givens, pre-prison time Tyson. When he was destroying most of the men who were put in front of him.
The two fighters would face off one more time in their careers, seven years later in 1996. The result would once again be the same with Tyson stopping Bruno via TKO. It would actually be the last time we would see the Brit inside the ropes. Finishing up a great career with a record of (40-5-0), making him one of the most successful British boxers of all time.
Late that same year, Tyson would lose to former IBF, WBC, WBA world cruiserweight champion Evander Holyfield. A result which would be repeated in the following year. When the now-infamous ear-biting incident occurred.
- Mike Tyson 218 lbs.
- Frank Bruno 228 lbs.
- TKO at 2:55 in round 5 of 12.
- Location: Las Vegas Hilton, Hilton Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Referee: Richard Steele.
- Judges: Jerry Roth 40-35, Omar Mintun 40-34, Rodolfo Maldonado 40-34.
- Promoter: Don King.
- Ring Announcer: Chuck Hull.
- World Boxing Council Heavyweight Title (8th defence by Tyson).
- World Boxing Association Heavyweight Title (7th defence by Tyson).
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (5th defence by Tyson).